Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I figured I should start my first blog about my current gym I am coaching and training at: GRACE GYMNASTICS CLUB

I began training at Grace in November of 2008.
I have honestly never been to a gym on this side of the state with girls who were as respectful and welcoming as my Grace teammates are. I made friends easily and for the first time in years, I was a part of an optional team! It was honestly a dream-come true for me. Suddenly I could train as much as I wanted, I had teammates who supported me, friends who I will remember the rest of my life. If only all good things lasted...

In early 2009, less than a month before state, I injured my wrist...yet again. Since then I have gotten to learn a new trade. I became the level 4 coach. I enjoy it, but I miss being a gymnast even more.

The team has gone through it's ups and downs. Last year, in June 2009, The Grace Gymnastics team won for both level 8's and the championship team at Y nationals in Pheonixville, Pennsylvania. It was the 9th year in a row that Grace had won the championship team and a new record for any Y team! I'm proud to announce that this shows that for the last 9 years, Grace is the top YMCA gym in the country! I was unfortuantly injured during this win and was eager to get to train for Y-nationals this coming year. Due to rule changes, I am too "old" to compete, which I find discriminating in many ways. I may elaborate on this topic in another post.

For individual awards at Y-Nationals, Mary Jacobsen won the level 8 all-around and Mia Tabbut won the championship division! It was an incredible experience for the girls and coaches. This year we are training for another victory, this time in San Diego, California!

The downs this year are the many injuries that Grace has endured. Late last November Mia Tabbutt tore her ACL. She has chosen to only return to high school gymnastics. She is eager to try out some coaching in the future though so this is a highlight for Grace! Hannah Loveland rolled an ankle early on in the season, and then was sick going into state. She still won her age group with a 37.05 and barely missed making the regional team. She earned 9th place out of the 8 positions. Mckenzie Dagan is dealing with a hip injury, Julia Salazar tore her groin, Ashley Nguyen broke her foot in three places and Elizabeth tore some liagaments in her ankle making this the third year she has not competed a full state meet. :( Prayers for healing and continued determination to continued training for those who still are motivated to do so. Keely Kirkley had an awesome state meet last weekend earning 9.3+ on bars, beam and floor. She also claimed the beam title and placed in the top 20 out of the ENTIRE meet!

Onto regionals and hopefully Western nationals for Grace girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment